April 27, 2009
Ready for discussion #2 of book #34, Belong to Me? We hope so! Let’s hear what you have to say about these questions:
- Who has changed the most by the end of the novel? Why & how?
- Near the end of the novel, Lake says that everything she’s done has been for Dev. Is this acceptable? Is it okay to lie to protect the people you love?
- How would you describe Cornelia’s childbirth experience? How does it lead her to make a decision that would change the lives of the people in her life?
- What does “family” mean, and how is this explored in the novel? Is is possible for one person to belong to another?
- Rating time: What do you give Belong to Me on a scale from 1-10 (1=blech, 10=superb)?
Wait!!! Don’t forget to nominate a book for our next selection, lest our readers be forced to make a choice without your input. Now that wouldn’t be very fun for you, would it?
April 17, 2009
Here goes discussion #1 for book #34, Belong to Me by Marisa de los Santos. Before reading any further, make sure you’ve read the first 10 chapters so as to avoid those dreaded spoilers:
- When we meet Cornelia’s neighbor Piper, she is commenting on Cornelia’s lawn and home, suggesting changes. How do you think Cornelia should have reacted? Have you ever had any similar experiences with neighbors?
- Dev is embarking on a quest to find his father. How do you feel about Lake’s hiding of his father’s information from Dev? Is she being fair?
- Do you think Clare and Dev’s relationship is an accurate depiction of first love? How does their relationship differ from the other romantic relationships in the novel? What do you think will happen between them in the future?
- Cornelia compares life to the movies. What, if any, movie does the novel remind you of? To what movie(s) would you compare your life?
- With Marisa de los Santos being our newest bookclub author, what are your thoughts on her writing style? Have you read any other novels by this author? Do you think you might be interested in reading more of her books?
April 12, 2009
The next official bookclub selection is Belong to Me by Marisa de los Santos. Yes Chicken Lit’ers, we’ve chosen yet another new author, one who has received much praise from her readership. WELCOME, Marisa!
So here’s what you do next – download an audible, borrow from the library, purchase from your favorite bookseller, or visit Amazon in support of our club: Belong to Me. Be sure to keep a lookout on the book #34 web page under ‘Books‘ in the right-hand sidebar, precisely where discussion timelines will be posted.
You don’t want to miss this one! Seriously.